Friday, June 24, 2011

Roses - Entry 2 - Dirt

Sigh.   Who knew that I'd actually ever be writing about dirt...or soil?  I mean seriously...I didn't see it coming!  But it's important.   The wrong dirt can KILL your roses.   Hence my intimate knowledge of the customer service replacement for roses from the Heirloom Roses company.

Ok...I called them and asked BEFORE I did anything...and they said go buy the cheapest dirt possible and that you usually have to find a clerk and make them show you where the cheap, no fertilizer dirt is.  It should cost about 97 cents. 

I went and found said dirt.  I didn't buy enough so in came my second lesson.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The cheapest dirt I found was indeed 98 cents.  It was top soil and nothing else... I planted my new roses in it, and watered it to assist in overcoming transplant shock.  I was confused because it looked like clay when the water saturated it. 

The roses did good for about three weeks.   And it turns out I was right.  Top soil with nothing in it is like clay...and eventually the clay has no oxygen in it and the water won't even seep in...and the rose suffocates.    So...avoid straight top soil. 

Lesson number 2....remember how I said I didn't buy enough....well I did have a pot's worth of miracle grow and I planted one of the seedlings in that.   Wow...I thought hooray at least one of my plants will live.   It did for about three months...and then it died too...I had no clue.   I called Heirloom for my weekly panic-check in.   I hadn't mentioned until this call that it was in miracle grow.  Well...the basic explanation is that fertilizer and young own root roses don't mix....the roses basically binge on the fertilizer in an uncontrolled fashion and then have no way to cope after a huge consumption so they end up overdosing. 

The lady sent me new roses, even for the last one which was over 3 months. 

And, I went out looking for not quite top soil, but the next step up....well, round two wasn't successful either. I'll save you the agony.  Despite the pure "organic" something or other $15/bag soil, this round did last eight months.

Third time is a charm though.  I have the perfect soil now...the roses started blooming within the first month so here's what you need for own root roses:
  1. Scott's Premium Organic Top Soil (picture below)
    •  it is more than 98 cents per bag,  but it is W-O-R-T-H it!!!!!  Trust me...don't skimp...dirt/soil as it turns out is CRUCIAL to healthy roses.
  2. Peat Moss
  3. Cedar Chip Bark
Then proceed to layer the premium organic top soil and peat moss until you have a sufficient amount for the area you are planting....once you have that, plant the roses in at least two feet down, and proceed layering.  When you have about four inches left, put the cedar bark down to discourage bugs and to give it added protection from direct sunlight heat.  

Hooray!!!  They will grow. :)  :) :) :) Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment