Friday, June 24, 2011

November

So, randomly enough....I always have an amazing urge to garden in winter sometime.   I think that it's my rebellion to a season without plants and flowers.    I know, I know, I should appreciate the time where the world is in stasis, rejuvenating or whatever....but I inevitably still go out on quests sometime in November or December looking for a plant to add to my indoor environments.

And, as a note....finding even potting soil in the off-season, is sometimes tricky.  Preserve!   Go forth!  

My tips to circumventing the soil search and November impulses are as follows:

1. save some soil, a pot's worth, from your spring/summer garden jaunts
2. buy a great pot that you look forward to filling
3. skip walmart, or any equivalent...they really won't have anything, not even in the remnant bins
4. go out and find those devotees, special garden centers...usually it has "nursery" in the name, and you will be greeted with both puzzlement and joy since there are few nuts like me who cannot resist defying odds and planting in winter....so service will be great...5 star...diamond...you will feel like some royal with secret service in the wings and the whole place has been shut down so you ---YOU--- can shop.  
5. don't resist the urge
6. set aside at least 3 hours for the fun of shopping in a quiet world
7. perhaps, plan on a second pot sequestered away  (the longest lived plants I've ever managed have been those intrepid plants purchased in off season).

Happy Gardening!
Tom Till - Wintering Leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment