Friday, June 24, 2011

Roses - Entry 3 - Inside vs Outside...and option number 3

One thing you may hear, see, or encounter when you start your own-root roses....'they have to be planted outside in the ground'.....

Well...again, I'm no expert but I'm here to say you can do it...you just need a few more tips.

Inside
  1. Again, dirt, as mentioned in my previous post is crucial!
  2. Make sure that it has some time either near an open window, or one day outside (in the shade).
  3. It will need a substantial pot.  It doesn't need to be a pot that is the size of a couch or anything, but it does need at least 15"x15"x30ish" within 3-6 months, you can start smaller at first to get it established.  (Picture below -- without the cedar bark).
  4. Indirect sunlight is also a must, good ambient light, but not direct. 
  5. Pay attention to the watering...the soil cannot be too saturated
  6. Preferably water in the morning so that the rose has all day to drink, not overnight as the rose consumes water differently inside vs out and inside they really don't like wet feet so-to-speak.
Outside
  1. You can follow the instructions that come with the roses.
  2. Go out and pay attention to sunlight and shade for where you plan on planting it.  See the elevated garden step for the explanation.
  3. Inspect your ground soil first....if it isn't the right thing, adjust accordingly.
  4. OR if you live in Texas where the soil is basically clay....what I've done is an elevated garden.   Well...we are more in process to put that in since my household is on a budget and dumping a thousand on elevated gardens is not as feasible as I would like...not to mention I'd need a truck to rent a tiller of mass power to churn up the brick we have underneath the grass.....we've gone for option number 3.... :)
Option Number 3 - an elevated garden
  1. Take note of the sunlight and shade you have in your backyard.   The roses aren't as much bothered by the heat as direct scorching sun.   (With proper watering of course.)
  2. You can purchase long deep, wooden trench like pots...but for my budget we went to home depot and bought the really big plastic tubs.   One really big plastic tub was about $15.   The pots I bought for the indoor ones (15x15x30) were more pricey than this one big tub.  (shown below)
  3. Next take a drill, flat spade like bit (I don't remember the name of this bit, but it exists), and drill out some drain holes for the tub.  
  4. Layer the soil as described in my previous entry about dirt.  I bought 14 bags of Scotts Premium Organic Top Soil for two of the big plastic tubs.
  5. Max number of own root roses, when they are young and just getting established is 6.
  6. Begin preparing the bigger garden so that when the roses are happy and growing, and enjoying life you can give the roots more room than in this little tub.
  7. Don't fertilize until 3 or 6 months has elapsed.
  8. Don't use the typical rose fertilizer from the stores.  Go looking for Alaskan Fish Oil...it is a liquid....and it does smell....but the roses will be in 7th heaven.   (This is also good for other plants, but personally I can't stand the smell....I make the sacrifice for own root roses though).
  9. I used the lids from the plastic tubs as sun shades.  (I will describe this in a later blog.)
  10. Water depending on your climate zone.   The goal is not to drown the roses, but you do need to keep them hydrated.   For Texas, in summer this means either once or twice a day, a good soak.    We've been having hundred plus temperatures with intense humidity...and the soil has been drying out like it is the Sahara.   
  11. Be prepared that in intense heat the roses will bloom less.  
  12. If the leaves are spotting like black chicken pox...see if you can move it into a more shaded place or adjust your sun shade.
  13. If they spots still don't go away, well, I think there's a deeper issue.   Call the Heirloom people...as I haven't had this problem I cannot speak to it. :) 
Happy Gardening!

Indoor beginner pots...you will need to plan on transplanting
once they've established themselves a little.

Going up one size....15x15x30ish...you can't see the depth in this shot,
but you can get a feel for what I mean

Tub shot - elevated garden... this was the first night
only 5 of my 6 were ready to send, the 6th came about a month later
I was sooooo excited.

The 6th has arrived.   I added more peat moss over the top of the bark
it is hot in Texas and I want to ensure the roots don't fry

No comments:

Post a Comment